I’m lucky to have never been called an asshole for doing bad business. But there is a first time for everything. Someone might have a bad day and decide to take it out on me. Maybe I’ll write a blogpost that offends someone. Maybe I’ll make a mistake that will really put someone off somehow. Maybe my service or product was not what they expected it to be. Who knows? Maybe there are people out there who just really hate my guts and want to share that with me. Again, who knows? I would highly recommend they don’t do any business with me, but what to do with all the crazy masochist out there?
Anyway, my point is: There is a chance someone won’t like you and your business, and there is a chance they will let you know. It’s not the end of the world, but it sucks.
So, what do you do?
- Let it suck. Breath in and out. And let it go.
- If you did do something slightly asshole-like or something that could be percieved as so. Be nice. Say sorry.
- Solve the problem if there is anything to be solved.
- If the person won’t accept your apologies and solution, say, hasta la vista baby, and walk away. I mean, who’s the asshole now?
- If you feel you really absolutely definitly didn’t do anything wrong, point number 1 is enough.
It’s simple. And remember: Hate is a very passionate emotion. Big chance they are trying to tell you they love you deeply, but don’t know how. Some people just have issues.